Monday, March 3, 2014

7 Posts In 8 Days?

I really loved Olivia, I don't care if they were jumping the shark a tad.
Well, I was really hanging in there on the 7 post in 7 days but here we are on day 8.  I have a tendency when I get behind on something to throw a pity party and decide the whole thing is ruined and what's the point in finishing now which is SUPER MATURE.  So I won't do that.  A day late for the last post is not too shabby.  This was tough, really really tough, but I'm glad I did it.  I learned a lot through this experience and I hope if you stuck with me that maybe you learned something too.  The biggest thing I learned is that blogging is at it's best when it's a dialogue, so please, when you read something here and you disagree or it doesn't ring true, I'd love it if you could share that in the comments.  We'll all learn a lot more having a conversation than we will if this whole thing is just me giving my narrow experience.  
If you missed them, here is a roundup of the whole 7 days:




The next 3 posts caused in my mind what one could characterize a minor kerfluffle but taught me A LOT:



Day 6:  When You Assume  In which I attempt to de-kerfluffle and there is a funny picture of a donkey in a predicament so if that's not click bait I don't know what is.

Day 7:  Here we are, actually on day 8, but you know what I mean.  The discussion of what you should and should not say/do for someone facing a health crisis bore so much fruit as far as I'm concerned.  I hope if you haven't read them that you will and add your experience and advice.  If you read them and were upset, or if you agreed, or if it made you think about these issues in a different way, I'd also really like to hear from you.  I'm learning a lot from the conversation and I really think my readers are learning more from the discussion than anything I have to say.  

Final thoughts--

1.  One thing I forgot to put in the shoulds.  When you are arranging a meal, or cleaning, or a gift, or whatever...one important thing to do as much as possible is to require as little thinking/planning from the family you are trying to help as possible.  Get in contact with one of their closer friends or their family and try to work out the logistics for them.  Open ended offers are sweet, but it can be hard to work out details when your mind is swimming in appointments and what ifs and difficulties and the best help is the kind that doesn't require any extra tasks, even if that task is looking at a calendar.  This doesn't mean don't offer if you can't get in touch with someone else, just understand, once again, that things might not go as you planned and have mercy.

2.  The person/family going through cancer or whatever crisis is not a person in a Lifetime movie.  A movie can be turned off, but real life can't.  Please just be merciful when someone doesn't react how you thought they would.  

3.  Thank you for reading and commenting.  I hope you'll continue the conversation and like me on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments...please say hello and share your thoughts. "Meeting" my readers is such a treat!

AddThis